For the past two years I’ve noticed certain trends that been building up steam:
- Customization & The rise of craftsmanship
- Sustainable & locavore shopping
- Paleo/Primal & The ‘Art of Manliness’
- Geek/Nerd Culture
As you can see, there is a lot to cover – but these are all tied together under the common themes of:
- Understanding what ‘quality’ means (durable goods v disposable goods)
- Getting in touch with our roots
- Questioning conventional wisdom & consumerism
- and ultimately – living a better ‘sustainable’ life.
Instead of writing one long post, I decided the best way to tackle this is by breaking this up into a series of posts. This way I can briefly talk about each topic and have some space to discuss some really interesting products/companies/groups that are currently working in these areas.
While most people think of innovation as increasing technology and adding more bells and whistles, this is innovation that is inspired by the past. The crazy thing is, these insights have either not been spotted by larger companies, or they are being disregarded because they dont fit in with their current business models.
Either way, there are huge opportunities in this area, and I see it as a game changer that can shake up industries and be the future of innovation.